Saint Anthony Church
St. Anthony Catholic Church is located in South Sacramento's Pocket Area at 660 Florin Road. The Church was built in 1978. The church is built entirely on one level and is fully handicap-accessible. The church is open from 7:20 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. weekdays. It has the following areas:
- Narthex (entry area)
- Nave (the main worship area) with capacity for 850 in the pews
- Rest Rooms
- Bride's Room.
Narthex area showing the statue of Our Lady of Welcome, entrance doors to the Nave, and the left side of The Holy Family tapistry.
Our Lady of Welcome by Chicago artists Jeffrey and Anna Koh-Varilla (1998).
The Holy Family 9-foot by 25-foot tapistry made of dyed acrylic by Carlo Djurovich of Sacramento, California (1978)
Interior of the church nave showing the altar, and sanctuary.
Saint Anthony of Sacramento
by Ryan York and Mario Locsin, San Diego, California
Installed above doors on inside back wall of church on July 10, 1991Saint Anthony is depicted as a young man, around thirty years of age (1195-1231) without a halo to emphasize his human quality. He is presenting forward the word in the form of an open book, which bears on the left the "CHI-RHO" symbolizing Christ and the words, "VIA, VERITAS, VITA" meaning "Way, Truth, Life" on the right
The sculpture is carved entirely by hand in solid Spanish Cedar wood, oiled and rubbed to enhance the wood's natural uniqueness. This original sculpture is a three-dimensional bas-relief with the head in full round relief. Overall height is 4'-2" x 3'-3" wide.
As background to the Titular Sculpture, the Mandola interprets a rose window traditionally placed over entrances in early Christian churches. Made out of seven separate sections of Rift Oak, it offers a smooth, warm texture in contrast to the stone wall on which it is mounted. It has the subtle outline of Saint Anthony's roof line, which is open to show the wall weaving through the sculptural composition. This contemporary layered design depicting the "house-shape form" of Saint Anthony's Church resembling an "ark-form shape", is most appropriate because Saint Anthony was regarded in the "Ark of the Covenant" by Gregory IX who canonized him and personally knew him. The Mandola is lightly finished to complement the natural warm tones of the sculpture. Overall diameter is 6'-0".